Who We Supervise
The Department of Financial Services supervises many different types of institutions. Supervision by DFS may entail chartering, licensing, registration or filing requirements, examination, etc. The "Who We Supervise App" on the DFS Portal can help you find out whether a financial institution is regulated and/or licensed by the Department, and what additional locations or branches the entity may have:
Visit our Institution Definition and Description page for a brief definition of each of the main types of institutions/individuals that we supervise or license and a brief description of the laws under which we regulate them.
Other Registered/Approved/Authorized Entities
DFS also registers, approves, permits, authorizes and de-authorizes certain entities. The following links can help you find out more about:
- Certified Reinsurers
- Credit Line Providers (for mortgage bankers)
- Exam Monitors (for insurance licensing exams)
- Flood Insurance Training Providers
- Health Services Providers De-Authorized From Billing No-Fault System
- Internationally Active Insurance Groups (IAIGs) Subject to Group-wide Supervision by the Superintendent
- Insurance Companies with Approved Independent Livery Programs
- Companies with Approval to use ISO (Insurance Services Office) Public Auto Loss Costs
- Medical Malpractice Insurers authorized in New York
- Purchasing Groups registered in New York
- Risk Retention Groups registered in New York
Historical Listing of Banks
DFS maintains a historical listing of New York banking institutions - banks and trust companies, savings banks, savings and loans, credit unions, investment companies and foreign banking institutions - that are or were New York State-chartered, as well as most federally chartered institutions that have ever operated in the state of New York.
Non-New York State Chartered institutions
Certain banks, credit unions and other financial institutions may not be New York State-chartered, so we may not supervise them. Here are some resources to help you determine who does.