Long Term Care and Long Term Care Insurance
The links below provide important information about long term care and the long term care insurance policies available in New York. This information is intended to help you make informed decisions about the need for financial protection and, should you choose to obtain long term care insurance, to help you choose a policy that will meet your individual needs.
Continuing Care Retirement Communities
About Long Term Care
- What is Long Term Care and Will I Need It?
- The Cost of Long Term Care in New York
- Is Long Term Care Covered By Insurance?
- How Else Can I Pay For Long Term Care?
- About Continuing Care Retirement Communities
Long Term Care Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance policies
- Minimum Standards for LTC Policies
- Partnership for Long Term Care Program
- Tax Savings on LTC Policies
- Insurers Currently Offering LTC Insurance (PDF)
Shopping for Long Term Care Insurance
- Things to Consider Before Purchasing LTC
- Comparing LTC Policies
- Optional LTC Benefits
- Comparing LTC Premiums
- Insurers Currently Offering LTC Insurance
- NAIC Shopper’s Guide to Long-Term Care Insurance
Tools and Other Information
- Glossary of Long Term Care Related Terms
- LTC Shopping Checklist
- LTC Policyholder Protection
- Long Term Care Consumer Guide (print-friendly PDF)
Helpful Outside Links
New York State HIICAP (Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program) - HIICAP provides free, confidential, accurate and unbiased health insurance information, counseling and assistance. Trained volunteer counselors and staff explain the coverage, costs, comparison and options of Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance, including Medigap and long term care insurance.
- Phone No. (800) 701-0501
- Website https://aging.ny.gov/health-insurance-information-counseling-and-assistance-program-hiicap
New York State Office for the Aging - The Office for the Aging plans and coordinates programs and services for the aging at all levels in both the public and private sectors and operates the Senior Citizens Hotline.
- New York State Senior Citizens Hotline (800) 342-9871
- Website https://aging.ny.gov/
New York State Department of Health – The mission of the New York State Department of Health is to protect, improve and promote the health, productivity and well being of all New Yorkers. Questions about Partnership for Long Term Care should be directed to the New York State Department of Health.
- Phone No. (888) 697-7582 or (518) 473-8083
- Website nyspltc.health.ny.gov
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services - The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is a federal agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. CMS runs the Medicare program, Medicaid program, and State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) - three national health care programs that benefit over 80 million Americans.
- Phone No. (800) 633-4227
- Website www.cms.hhs.gov
New York State Department of Taxation and Finance - New York State allows favorable state tax treatment of premiums paid for policies which qualify under the federal law and meet New York minimum standards. To claim the New York State Credit you must complete Form IT-249, Claim for Long-Term Care Insurance Credit, and attach it to your New York State Return.
New York State Partnership for Long-Term Care - The Long Term Care Partnership Program was initiated in New York State to encourage more people to purchase long term care insurance policies.
- Phone: (888) 697-7582) or (518) 473-8083
- Website: nyspltc.health.ny.gov