Mortgage and Foreclosure Information Related to COVID-19
New York State and the federal government have passed laws or regulations to provide relief to homeowners who are unable to pay their mortgage due to COVID-19 or who are at risk of or in foreclosure.
This page provides information for New York residential mortgage borrowers about the relief available to them. These webpages will be revised to reflect any changes. DFS also has FAQs for industry available.
The information here relates to both federally- and state-provided relief, and there are important differences between the two relief programs, so you should contact your servicer to discuss what specific relief options are available to you. New Yorkers can also contact organizations that offer free housing counseling and legal assistance. See the “Wondering where you can get help?” section below.
If your servicer has denied you relief, or you are having difficulty working with your servicer, you can file a complaint with the New York Department of Financial Services. The Department can help ensure that you receive whatever relief you are eligible for. If you file a complaint about a servicer that the Department does not regulate, the Department will refer the complaint to the appropriate government office, such as the federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Unable to pay your mortgage?
Have you received foreclosure papers, or are you already in court?
- Click here to learn about the “foreclosure moratorium.”
Questions about how mortgage or foreclosure relief will impact your credit?
- Click here to learn more.
Wondering where you can get help?
- Click here to learn more about how to contact a housing counselor or attorney for further assistance.
Watch out for scams!
- Click here to learn more about how to protect against scams.
Government and Legal Resources
NOTE: The external resources included below open in new browser tabs.
- NMLS Consumer Access
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- New York State Unified Court System (COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Act of 2020)
- New York Banking Law 9-x
- Department’s Part 419
- Department’s Emergency Part 119
- Regulation Z
- Regulation X
- COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act