Permission for a foreign banking corporation to change its name

Statutory authority: Banking Law, § 203[2], Sec. 104.1 General information, 104.2

General Information:

A foreign banking corporation maintaining a New York State-licensed branch, agency or representative office that proposes to change its name shall submit a letter application to the Superintendent of Financial Services of the State of New York.

Information And Documents Required:

The letter application should contain a description of the reasons for and indicate the effective date of such change of name and be accompanied by certified copies (with translation into English if applicable) of:

  • resolutions adopted by the foreign banking corporation"s board of directors authorizing the change of name; and
  • a statement from the home country authorities that such authorities approve or do not object to the change of name.

Questions concerning the application process may be directed to the Applications Unit at (212) 709-1540.