Instructions for filing the EL-1 report online
DUE MARCH 15, ANNUALLY
To file the EL-1 Report you must access the Excess Line Upload application on the DFS Portal.
Portal Applications & Accounts
To access this secured application, you must have a portal account. Select the DFS Portal button below to log into, or create, your portal account. (You may need to disable any "pop-up" prevention software you have running before using this application.)
After you sign in with your portal user id, follow these steps to obtain access to file EL-1 report online application:
- Click on the tab "Ask For Apps".
- Click on "Excess Line - Upload" to request access to the application.
- Enter either the company name or NAIC number of the company, you will see the company name and NAIC number. (If you did not see the name of company you entered, please email the company name and NAIC number to the Department for the addition.)
- Click on the company, then click on "submit request".
- You will receive a message stating "your request for access has been received. You will receive an email when the request(s) is/are processed".
After you received the email notification to grant you the access, please follow these steps to upload your EL-1 report online:
- Sign in using your portal user id and password,
- Click on "excess line - upload" under the Tab "My Apps",
- Click on arrow to select your company from the list, and then click on "Browse" to upload your company's file.
- After the document is loaded, please choose the "Document Type" which is either EL-1 or affirmation,
- Click on "Browse" to upload another file, after the document is loaded, please choose the "document type", repeat this step if you have more documents.
- Click on "submit" after all documents have been uploaded.
- You will see a message to confirm that the documents have been submitted to the Department.
When you click on "submit", the Department will be able to review your filing and will email you a confirmation if your filing is complete; otherwise, you will receive an email to ask you to resubmit if the EL-1 filing is incomplete.