Renew a License
A license must be renewed prior to its expiration date or it will expire. Renewal applications are available online only.
If your status as an agent is currently “inactive,” and has been “inactive” for more than 2 years, a renewal application will not be available until you have been appointed by at least one New York licensed insurance company.
If continuing education (CE) is required to renew your license, you must complete the CE requirement prior to submitting your renewal application. New York resident licensees must complete courses offered by a Department approved provider organization. Courses may be offered in a classroom setting, as a webinar, self-study with a textbook or online self-study. You can find a list of approved providers at: Continuing Education Provider Search.
Please note: Effective November 12, 2021, the Department of Financial Services amended Part 20 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations (Regulations 9, 18 and 29), mandating the completion of certain courses to renew the insurance license. Of the 15 credit hours of instruction required in accordance with Insurance Law Section 2132, the licensee shall satisfactorily complete courses or programs of instruction or attend seminars, as the superintendent may approve, that provide:
(1) at least one hour of Insurance Law instruction.
(2) at least one hour of ethics and professionalism instruction.
(3) at least one hour of diversity, inclusion, and elimination of bias instruction.
(4) at least one hour of flood insurance instruction if the licensee is licensed to sell one or more lines of property/casualty insurance and at least three hours of enhanced flood insurance instruction if the licensee sells flood insurance through the NFIP.
CE is not required for a nonresident licensee if they are currently compliant in their homestate.
The following license classes can now renew:
Individual/TBA Producers with licenses expiring on their birthday can renew their license up to 180 days prior to the expiration date.
Business Entity licenses expiring on 06/30/2023:
BR Property Casualty broker
EX Excess Lines broker
LA Life, Accident and Health agent
LB Life, Accident and Health broker
LSB Life Settlement broker
PC Property Casualty agent
TLA Title Insurance agent
Use the DFS Portal button below to access the renewal license application:
Browsers and Blockers:
- Use a supported browser: The latest version plus one previous of IE, FF, Chrome and Safari, are supported.
- Disable “Pop-up Blocker” setting in your browser before using DFS portal applications.
- Maintenance: The application may be unavailable daily from 7:30am to 7:45am for scheduled maintenance.
- Applications may not be compatible with cell phones, tablets or other mobile devices.
Printing a License
- Once you have processed a renewal for a particular license, it is not necessary for that renewal to be processed again.
- You will be notified when your license has been issued. The notification will include instructions on how to obtain your license number and print your license. You can check on the status of your license at any time by visiting our Producer/Licensee Search.
If you are experiencing technical problems or need help, email us at [email protected]. And again, if you do not think the renewal application went through please call (518) 474-6600 before processing it a second time.