Renew a License
A license must be renewed prior to its expiration date or it will expire. Renewal applications are available online only.
If your status as an agent is currently “inactive,” and has been “inactive” for more than 2 years, a renewal application will not be available until you have been appointed by at least one New York licensed insurance company.
If continuing education (CE) is required to renew your license, you must complete the CE requirement prior to submitting your renewal application. New York resident licensees must complete courses offered by a Department approved provider organization. Courses may be offered in a classroom setting, as a webinar, self-study with a textbook or online self-study. You can find a list of approved providers at: Continuing Education Provider Search. Providers designated with (I) are offering on-line courses; providers designated with (W) are offering webinars.
The requirement that a monitor be present when an insurance producer takes an exam at the conclusion of either a continuing education or prelicensing course was eliminated on November 2, 2020.
Individual/TBA Producers with licenses expiring on their birthday can renew their license up to 180 days prior to the expiration date.
To renew a license, visit the Renewal Application on the DFS Portal:
Browsers and Blockers:
- Use a supported browser: The latest version plus one previous of IE, FF, Chrome and Safari, are supported.
- Disable “Pop-up Blocker” setting in your browser before using DFS portal applications.
- Maintenance: The application may be unavailable daily from 7:30am to 7:45am for scheduled maintenance.
- Applications may not be compatible with cell phones, tablets or other mobile devices.
Printing a License
- Once you have processed a renewal for a particular license, it is not necessary for that renewal to be processed again.
- You will be notified when your license has been issued. The notification will include instructions on how to obtain your license number and print your license. You can check on the status of your license at any time by visiting our Producer/Licensee Search.
If you are experiencing technical problems or need help, email us at [email protected]v. And again, if you do not think the renewal application went through please call (518) 474-6600 before processing it a second time.