Original License Application (Individual/TBA)

Before applying online, please allow 1 to 3 business days after passing the required examination. 

Non-Residents should use the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) Non-Resident License Application.

If you are applying for a property/casualty agent and/or broker license(s) and intend to issue Insurance Identification Cards, please visit Insurance Information and Enforcement System (IIES).

Expiration Date

Licenses are for a period of no more than 2 years. Individual/TBA Producer License expiration date is determined by date of birth.

  • If you were born in an even numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an even numbered year.
  • If you were born in an odd numbered year, your license will expire on your birthday in an odd numbered year.


  • Applicants must have passed the applicable New York State examination within the past 2 years.
  • Applicants must attest to taking the applicable pre-qualifying course and furnish the course number or attest to being exempt from the pre-qualifying course by either CLU, CPCU or Statement of Employer exemption. Individuals claiming an exemption from the pre-qualifying course must provide documentation to the Department. 
  • Applicants must pay a licensing fee. Credit card or check payment option available.
  • Applicant may apply for multiple classes of licenses simultaneously, if qualified, but cannot apply for a class of license they previously held.

Variable Annuity Requirements

  • Agent - must also be applying for a life agent license at the same time.
  • Broker - must also be applying for a life broker license at the same time.
  • Must be registered with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and must furnish the FINRA CRD number.

Apply Online

Online application submissions are currently available to all individual/tba resident applicants who passed the requisite exam within the last 2 years applying for:

  • life, variable annuity, and/or accident/health agent and/or broker licenses
  • property/casualty agent and/or broker licenses

To get started, visit the DFS Portal:

Check Status/Print License

The Department no longer mails paper licenses. Print the license as soon as it is issued.

Browsers and Blockers:

  • Use a supported browser: The latest version plus one previous of IE, FF, Chrome and Safari, are supported.
  • Disable “Pop-up Blockers” in your browser before using DFS portal applications.
  • Maintenance: Application may be unavailable from 7:30am to 7:45am daily for scheduled maintenance.