Non-Resident License Application
New York issues BOTH Agent and Broker Licenses. DFS uses the National Insurance Producer Registry's (NIPR) Non-Resident Licensing for individuals only. Non-Residents who hold valid licenses outside New York may apply through NIPR for a New York non-resident license.
We encourage you to use the NIPR. NIPR will provide your home state certification directly to the Department of Financial Services. You will not have to go to your home state regulator for that document. You need only to complete the online application. The NIPR will collect a nominal fee for this service.
To get started, visit the NIPR website:
- Agent Licenses REQUIRE a company appointment to activate the license.
- Brokers CANNOT be appointed to insurance companies.
- Before submitting your application, contact the insurance company for which you intend to do business to verify the license is required.
Non-residents applying for agent licenses may indicate the company that will be appointing them. To do this the agent will need to supply the NAIC number of the company. NAIC numbers can be found on the DFS Directory of Insurance Companies or obtain the NAIC number from the appointing company.
Check Status/Print License
The Department no longer mails paper licenses. Print the license as soon as it is issued.
Browsers and Blockers:
- Use a supported browser: The latest version plus one previous of IE, FF, Chrome and Safari, are supported.
- Disable “Pop-up Blocker” setting in your browser before using DFS portal applications.
- Maintenance:Application may be unavailable from 7:30am to 7:45am daily for scheduled maintenance.
- Applications may not be compatible with cell phones, tablets or other mobile devices.
- Be sure to select the proper class of license for which you intend to conduct business. If the class of license you are looking for is not available, contact [email protected] or (518) 474-6630. NO REFUNDS will be issued for licenses applied for in error.