Original License Application – Individual or TBA (Trade Name)
The Department is authorized to license those who wish to operate as insurance agents, brokers and consultants, independent adjusters and public adjusters, and others, as defined in New York Insurance Laws.
All Individuals and individuals with trade names (TBA) applying for an insurance license must apply online via the Department’s online licensing application.
Non-resident online licensing is also available to first time non-resident applicants applying for an INDIVIDUAL license through the website of the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).
Trade Name Approval
To avoid the use of duplicate or misleading names, an individual applying with a trade name must obtain Department approval to use the trade name prior to submitting the license application. Requests for name approval must be submitted to the Department of Financial Services by emailing [email protected]. In the request, include the applicant’s name, the trade name, and the type of license for which you are applying. Approval or disapproval will be sent with additional instructions.
Minimum License Requirements
To apply for a license, the applicant must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Complete prelicensing education requirements.
- Pass the applicable New York State examination within 2 years of applying for the license. Please allow 1 to 3 business days after passing the exam before applying for the license.
- Submit a completed license application to the Department within two years of passing the exam. An applicant may apply for multiple classes of licenses simultaneously, if qualified, but cannot apply for a class of license they previously held.
- Pay the licensing fee. Payment options are: credit card, electronic funds transfer (e-check) or paper check.
For detailed requirements and to access the online application, select from the list of available licenses below.
Insurance Licensing Applications
- Adjuster (Independent or Public) (IA or PA)
- Bail Bond Agent Licensing
- Consultant (General or Life) (C3 or C1)
- Excess Line Broker (EX)
- Life and Accident/Health and Variable Life/Variable Annuity AGENT or BROKER (LA or LB)
- Life Settlement Broker (LSB)
- Life Settlement Intermediary (LSI)
- Life Settlement Provider (LSP)
- Limited Agent (LR) (rental vehicle companies, wireless communications equipment vendors, and self-storage companies)
- Mortgage Guaranty Agents (MG)
- Property and Casualty AGENT of BROKER (PC or BR)
- Service Contract Provider
- Temporary Adjuster Permit
- Title Insurance Agent
The Department will review an application, verify that there is nothing in the applicant’s background that should prevent the license from being issued, and then issue the appropriate license.