About the Insurance Frauds Bureau
The Insurance Frauds Bureau is part of the FFCPD’s Criminal Investigations Unit. It is responsible for the detection and investigation of insurance and financial fraud and the referral for prosecution of persons or groups that commit these frauds.
The Bureau is headquartered in New York City, with six additional offices across the State in Garden City, Albany, Syracuse, Oneonta, Rochester and Buffalo. The Bureau’s specialized units are Major Case, Arson, General, Auto, Workers’ Compensation, Medical, No-Fault, Mortgage and Title, and Upstate. The Bureau provides in-service training for its staff and conducts training for law enforcement, the insurance industry and community groups. The Bureau also has a unit of insurance examiners who are responsible for insurer compliance with Article 4 of the New York Insurance Law and Department Regulation 95. The examiner staff may also perform market conduct examinations of insurer Special Investigations Units.
Insurers are required to report all cases of suspected insurance fraud to the IFB.
Insurance Fraud Hotline: 1-800-342-3736
Highlights of 2014
- Bureau investigations led to $15.5 million in Court-ordered restitution
- Investigations conducted by Bureau staff resulted in 303 arrests, of which 77 were for health care fraud
- 443 new cases were opened for investigation
- Prosecutors obtained 684 convictions in cases in which the Bureau was involved, up from 385 in 2013
- The Bureau received 24,758 reports of suspected fraud, an increase of approximately 9% from 2013
- Of the fraud reports received, 15,439 reports were for suspected no-fault fraud, accounting for 62% of all fraud reports