Fingerprinting Procedures (Banks, Credit Unions, Investment Companies, Trusts)
Certain applications such as de novo bank charters, credit union charters and change of control of banking organizations require individuals to include fingerprint records. In addition Department policy requires that in certain types of notifications individuals provide their fingerprint records.
The Department uses Morpho Trust Enrollment Solutions (Morpho), as the primary method of obtaining fingerprint information for all applications. Morpho conducts on-site "Live Scan" fingerprinting. Individuals requiring fingerprinting should go to a Morpho Live Scan site in New York State to have fingerprints taken electronically. This is the primary, preferred method of transmitting fingerprints to the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for processing. This process reduces errors and delays that can occur with traditional rolled fingerprints submitted on cards.Only New York State Morpho sites can be used, as this program operates under contractual agreements between DCJS and Morpho. For those who cannot access a New York State Morpho site, two hard copy fingerprint cards may be filed with the Department. This method may be more costly to the individual, cause delays in processing the applications and should only be used when necessary.
I. Electronic Fingerprinting at Morpho sites:
- Schedule an appointment for fingerprinting by going to the Morpho website www.L-1enrollment.com or calling Morpho toll-free at (877) 472-6915. Appointment scheduling via the website is available 24 hours, every day of the year. Appointment scheduling via the call center is available 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
When making the appointment, please provide the reason for fingerprinting and the Department ORI number applicable to the application type.
The ORI # NY921970Z applies to the fingerprints related to the following types of applications:
- The Department's Applicant Information Form includes the information above, as well as all information an individual will need to provide at his/her appointment. It is recommended that the form be completed and taken to the Morpho site for reference and convenience during the appointment.
Bank and Trust Companies
Savings and Loans
Safe Deposit Companies
Limited Purpose Trust Companies,
Mutual Holding Companies
If the appointment is scheduled through the Morpho website, Morpho recommends that the applicant print out the confirmation page and bring it to the appointment.
- The fingerprinting fee of $105.00 is payable to MorphoTrust USA. Payment can be made either at the time the appointment is made on-line, or when the fingerprints are taken at the Morpho site. This fee will cover the processing by DCJS ($75.00), the FBI ($19.25), and the Morpho vendor fee ($10.75).
When the individual goes to the Morpho location, he/she must bring the following items:
- Two forms of identification, at least one of which must have a photo. When he/she schedules the appointment, Morpho will give the individual the options of what forms of identification are considered acceptable. A list is also printed on the Department's Applicant Information Form.
- If the individual did not already pay on-line when he/she scheduled the appointment, he/she will need to make payment at the time of the appointment. Payment options include: personal or business check, certified check, bank check, money order, or credit card.
It is recommended that the individual also bring the following items:
- A completed Department Applicant Information Form.
- A printout of the appointment information if the appointment was made on-line.
At the fingerprinting location, the identification documents will be reviewed, fingerprints will be rolled and a photo will be taken.
The individual will be provided two receipts indicating the individual's name, fingerprinting location, date and time, fee paid and reason for fingerprinting. The individual must submit one receipt to the Department with the application as proof of the fingerprinting. The individual should retain the other copy for his/her records.
If fingerprints do not scan properly due to image quality reasons, Morpho will contact the individual and advise that he/she must schedule an appointment for rescanning. There is no cost for rescanning services.
II. Instructions for submitting Rolled Fingerprint cards to the Department:
(Note: This method is ONLY used when it is not possible for an individual to go to a Morpho Live Scan site in New York State.)
- The individual must obtain the hard copy fingerprint cards from the Department.
Requests for fingerprint cards should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The email must include:
- ORI # NY921970Z;
- The reason for requesting the cards (application type as shown above)
- The number of cards requested (please note that two cards per person are required)
- The name and address of the person to whom they should be sent
- A telephone number to call if we need to contact you.
When the fingerprint cards are received, confirm the ORI number printed on them.
Only ORI # NY921970Z can be used for applications related to the institution types listed above. If another ORI # is printed on the cards that you receive, do not use them. Contact the Department via email to request a new set of cards.
- Complete the information on the fingerprint cards according to the Fingerprint Card Instructions. Fingerprints may only be taken by a law enforcement or government agency. The individual must obtain a receipt with information verifying the source of the fingerprinter. The Fingerprint Certification Form must be completed at the time the fingerprints are taken.
Please note that any costs for taking the fingerprints are the responsibility of the individual. These costs are in addition to the fees payable to Morpho, as noted below.
The individual must submit the following directly to the Department as part of the application:
- Two completed fingerprint cards for ORI #NY921970Z
- A completed Request for Fingerprint Card Services
- Payment of the $105.00 processing fee.
This fee will cover the processing by DCJS ($75.00), the FBI ($19.25), and the Morpho vendor fee ($10.75). Payment by debit or credit card may be made using section 3 of the Request for Fingerprint Card Services form. Payment by personal or business check, certified check, bank check, or money order should be made payable to Morpho Trust USA and submitted with the application. If you pay by third-party check, print the applicant's name at the top of the check.
- A Fingerprint Certification Form
The Department will mail all documents to Morpho for scanning. If the fingerprint submission is rejected for image quality reasons, Morpho will contact the individual via US mail and advise him/her that fingerprints must be retaken. While there is no additional charge for reprocessing, individual may be required to pay a charge to the entity rolling the fingerprints. Individuals may obtain additional cards from the Department in the manner described above.