Mortgage Banker, Broker & Servicer Application: Fingerprinting Procedure
Pursuant to New York Banking Law Article 12-D and Parts 410 and 418 of the Superintendent's Regulations, applicants for Mortgage Banker licenses and Mortgage Broker and Mortgage Loan Servicer registrations are required to submit their fingerprints for the purpose of a Criminal Background Check (CBC). This includes the three most senior executive officers, direct or indirect owners having an ownership interest of 10% or more, Directors and Qualifiers.
Effective October 1, 2010, the Department of Financial Services (“Department”) uses L-1 Identity Services (L-1) to provide fingerprint processing services for these applications. Under this program, all individuals required to submit fingerprints for a criminal background check will be able to utilize Live Scan technology sites in New York State to have their fingerprints taken electronically. This is the preferred method of transmitting fingerprints to the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for processing. Results are then electronically transmitted to the Department. This process reduces errors and delays that can occur with traditional rolled fingerprints submitted on cards.
At this time, only New York State sites can be used, as this program operates under contractual agreements between DCJS and L-1. For those who cannot access a New York State L-1 site, a hard copy fingerprint card must be filed with the Department. Rolled card processing may be more costly to the applicant, may cause delays in processing the applications and should only be used when necessary.
At this time, only New York State sites can be used, as this program operates under contractual agreements between DCJS and L-1. For those who cannot access a New York State L-1 site, a hard copy fingerprint card must be filed with the DFS. Rolled card processing may be more costly to the applicant, may cause delays in processing the applications and should only be used when necessary.
Outlined below are instructions for securing and submitting electronic fingerprint scans (Live-Scan) and Rolled Fingerprint cards to the Department:
Electronic Fingerprinting at L-1 Enrollment Services sites:
- Schedule an appointment for fingerprinting at the L-1 website, www.L-1enrollment.com, or by calling L-1 toll-free at (877) 472-6915. Appointment scheduling via the website is available 24 hours, every day of the year. Appointment scheduling via the call center is available 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. If an appointment is scheduled through the L-1 website, the confirmation page be should be printed and brought to to your appointment.
When making the appointment, please provide the reason for the fingerprints and the DFS ORI number applicable to the application type.
The ORI # NY921860Z applies to the fingerprints for the following types of applications:
Mortgage Banker Applications
Mortgage Broker Applications
Mortgage Servicer Applications
The Department of Financial Services Fingerprint Service Applicant Information Form includes the information above, as well as all information an individual will need to provide at his/her appointment. It is recommended that this form be completed and taken to the L-1 site for reference and convenience during the appointment.
If the appointment is scheduled through the L-1 website, L-1 recommends that the individual print out the confirmation page and bring it to the appointment.
A fingerprinting fee of $102.25 for each individual is payable to L-1 Enrollment Services. Payment can be made either at the time the appointment is made on-line, or when the fingerprints are taken. This fee will cover the processing by DCJS ($75.00), the FBI ($16.50), and the L-1 vendor fee ($10.75).
- When an individual goes to a fingerprinting location, he/she must bring the following items:
- Two forms of identification, at least one of which must have a photo. When he/she schedules the appointment, L-1 will give the individual the options of what forms of identification are considered acceptable. A list is also printed on the Department of Financial Services Fingerprint Service Applicant Information Form
- If the individual did not already pay on-line when he/she scheduled the appointment, he/she will need to make payment at the time of the appointment. Payment options include: personal or business check, certified check, bank check, money order, or credit card.
It is recommended that the individual also bring the following items:
- A completed completed Department of Financial Services Fingerprint Applicant Information Form.
- A printout of the appointment information if the appointment was made on-line
At the fingerprinting location, the identification documents will be reviewed, fingerprints will be rolled and a photo will be taken.
You will be provided two receipts indicating the name, site location, date and time, fee paid and reason for fingerprinting. You must provide one receipt to the DFS with your application as proof of fingerprinting. You should retain the other copy for his/her records.
- If fingerprints do not scan properly, L-1 will contact the you and advise that you must schedule an appointment for rescanning. There is no cost for rescanning services.
Instructions for submitting Rolled Fingerprint Cards to the DFS:
(Note: This method is ONLY to be used when it is not possible for an individual to go to an L-1 Live Scan site in New York State.)
- You must obtain hard copy fingerprint cards from the Department. Requests for fingerprint cards should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The email must include:
- ORI # NY921860Z;
- The reason for requesting the cards (application type;
- The number of cards requested (note that two cards per person are required);
- The name and address of the person to whom they should be sent; and
- A telephone number to call if we need to contact you.
When the fingerprint cards are received, confirm the ORI number printed on them is correct.
Only ORI # NY921860Z can be used for applications related to Mortgage Origination Activities. If another ORI # is printed on the cards, do not use them. Contact the Department via email to request a new set of cards.
- The information on the fingerprint cards must be completed (see Fingerprint Card Instructions). The fingerprints may only be taken by a law enforcement or government agency. The individual must obtain a receipt with information verifying the source of the finger printer. The Fingerprint Certification Form must be completed at the time the fingerprints are taken.
Please note that any costs for taking the fingerprints are your responsibility. These costs are in addition to the fees payable to L-1 (as noted below) and the NMLS.
The individual must submit the following information directly to the Department of Financial Services-Mortgage Banking as part of the Jurisdiction Specific Requirements:
- Two completed fingerprint cards for ORI # NY921860Z;
- The DFS Request for Fingerprint Card Scan Services;
- A Fingerprint Certification Form; and
- Payment of the $102.25 processing fee. The fee includes payment to DCJS ($75), the FBI ($16.50) and the L-1 vendor fee ($10.75). Payment options include: personal or business check, certified check, bank check, or money order, payable to L-1 Enrollment Services. Credit card payments can also be authorized, using the bottom section of the Department's Request for Fingerprint Card Scan Services.
The Department will then submit these documents to L-1.
- L-1 will contact the individual via US mail and advise him/her that fingerprints must be retaken if the fingerprint submission is rejected for image quality reasons. While there is no additional charge for the processing, individuals may be required to pay a charge by the entity rolling the fingerprints.